Another COVID-19 Regional Update, FAQs and more …
In order to alleviate travelers’ safety concerns about their safaris to East Africa, Cheli & Peacock Safaris has developed the Cheli & Peacock Safaris Care & Protection VIDEO, which illustrates the measures that we have put in place, as well as those put in place by our various partners. Several initiatives aimed at reassuring travellers are now in practice across the region. In addition, our Product Manager, Kathleen Leonard, has updated ‘The Cheli & Peacock Safaris COVID-19 East Africa Travel FAQs’, which we sent out last month. Please find the updated version attached below.
In order to plan safaris for your travellers in the future, please take note of the following, much of this was included in our last travel update, however, please note that there have been some changes:
- International flights officially resumed on 18 May 2020;
- All travellers entering The United Republic of Tanzania will undergo temperature screening upon arrival and must complete a Health Declaration form to be submitted upon entry;
- There are no self-quarantine requirements for travellers arriving into the country who are not showing any COVID-19 symptoms;
- Negative COVID-19 test results and certificates are not required for any travellers;
- All arriving passengers are to wear masks for travel and dispose of them when exiting the airport;
- Sanitisers are placed throughout airports and all airport staff are to be monitored for symptoms of COVID-19;
- Hotels, lodges, and restaurants have reopened, with social distancing measures and increased health and safety measures in place;
- Face masks are to be worn by all people at all times in public places; and
- Social distancing of 1.5 m apart is required at all times.
- International flights resumed as of 1 August 2020;
- All arriving passengers on international flights whose body temperature is NOT above 37.5°C (99.5°F); do not have a persistent cough, difficulty in breathing or other flu-like symptoms; have negative PCR based COVID-19 test carried out within 96 hours before travel and are from countries considered low to medium risk COVID-19 transmission areas shall be exempt from quarantine;
- Travellers from countries on this list will be exempt from quarantine. Please note that this list now includes travellers from the entire United States of America, Mexico and Tanzania;
- The nationwide curfew remains in place between 2100 and 0400, for a period of 30 days from 26 August 2020;
- A selection of restaurants have reopened, with social distancing measures in place, and are permitted to operate until 8 pm, however, they are not permitted to serve alcoholic beverages;
- A selection of hotels have reopened, with the sale of alcoholic beverages permitted in all food and beverage facilities of the hotels;
- Travel by road, rail, and air has resumed throughout the country;
- A selection of restaurants have reopened, with social distancing measures in place, and are permitted to operate until 8pm for a period of 30 days from 26 August 2020;
- Face masks are to be worn by all people at all times in public places;
- Vehicles must carry only 50% of their passenger capacity;
- Temperature checks will continue to be conducted in public places; and
- Social distancing of 1.5 m apart is required at all times.
- International flights will resume on 1 October 2020;
- Local private and public vehicle movement continues to be suspended;
- The nationwide curfew continues between 1900 and 0630;
- Hotels, restaurants, and shops reopened from the 4 June 2020, with social distancing measures in place; and
- Face masks are to be worn by all people over the age of 6 years at all times in public places.
- International flights have resumed as of 1 August 2020;
- The only accepted test for passengers entering Rwanda is a SARS-CoV 2 Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR). Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Test (RDTs), are not accepted.
- All travellers arriving in to, and departing from Rwanda must be tested negative for COVID-19 within 120 hours of departure (meaning that you get tested and get results no more than 5 days before your first flight).
- Arriving travellers are required to complete the passenger locator form, and upload the COVID-19 test certificate, please see the passenger locator form link on www.rbc.gov.rw;
- Departing travellers are encouraged to book and pay for their tests at least 2 days prior to departure through the online platform available on www.rbc.gov.rw;
- All travellers arriving in Rwanda will be screened upon entry and be given a second test to confirm the negative results of the first test done prior to arrival, and the test is to the cost of the guest, at USD 50 per person per test;
- All arriving travellers are required to complete 24 hours in a designated transit hotel while awaiting the results of the second test, the designated hotels are available at a discounted rate and we recommend accommodation in the following hotels:
- Radisson Blu Hotel & Convention Centre, Kigali
- Kigali Marriott Hotel
- Kigali Serena Hotel
- Park Inn by Radisson
- Following 24 hours, guests’ results will be received via SMS or email. In the event of a negative test, guests will be invited to check out and proceed on their Rwanda safari. In the event of a positive test, guests will be transported to a medical facility for medical attention, at their own cost.
- All travellers must be tested negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours prior to visiting any of Rwanda’s National Parks.
- A nationwide curfew is in place between 2100 and 0500; and
- Face masks are to be worn by all people at all times in public places.
The following tables list the collections, properties and airlines that have resumed operations, these have only changed slightly from a month ago, new additions are in italics. For more information please contact your designated Safari Planner.
Our sales team are working on new itineraries and enquiries on a daily basis. Should you have any questions or require any further information, please do contact your designated Safari Planner.
The Cheli & Peacock Safaris Team